Do you need Building Regulations Approval?

If you are considering carrying out building work to your property then you may need to apply to your Local Authority for Building Regulations Approval.

For most types of building work, extensions, alterations, conversions and drainage works, you will be required to submit a Building Regulations Application prior to commencing any work.

Since January 2005, certain electrical work comes under Building Regulation Control. You should check with your local authority prior to carrying out any electrical work in or around your home.

Certain types of extensions and small detached buildings are exempt from Building Regulations control. However, you may still be required to apply for Planning Permission.

Exempt Buildings

The following small detached buildings and extensions are exempt from control.

Small Detached Buildings

    1. no point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or
    2. which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.
    1. its floor area does not exceed 30m2; and
    2. the excavation for the building is no closer to any exposed part of another building or structure than a distance equal to the depth of the excavation plus one metre.


    1. a conservatory*, porch, covered yard or covered way; or
    2. a carport open on at least two sides;

where the floor area of that extension does not exceed 30m2, provided that in the case of a conservatory or porch which is wholly or partly glazed, the glazing satisfies the requirements of the Building Regulations for safety glazing.


            Measurements for Building Regulations are taken internally.

            *A conservatory has to be separated from the rest of the house to be exempt (i.e. patio doors).

            If you are in any doubt about whether you need to apply for permission, you should contact your Local Authority Building Control Department before commencing any work to your property.

            You may also require Planning Permission. 

Building Regulations Guide

A guide to the Building Regulations of England and Wales can be downloaded from the Communities and Local Government website by clicking on the following link:-

Approved Documents

The Approved Documents that give guidance on how to comply with Building Regulations can be viewed or downloaded from the following link:-

Local Authority Charges

When submitting a Building Regulations Application you will be required to pay a fee to the Local Authority. In most cases you will also be required to pay a fee when the work is commenced. These fees are dependent on the type of work that you intend to carry out. Work to provide access and/or facilities for disabled persons to existing dwellings may be exempt from these fees if the work is solely for the use of the disabled person.

Back to Home Page

The information on this page is believed to be correct. SGT Building Design cannot accept responsibility for any inaccuracies.

If in doubt please contact your Local Authority Building Control Department.